Brown Bag Lunches > Events
Brown Bag Lunch attendees can expect to learn about biomedical information, HIV-related policy, and HIV research. Bring a bagged lunch and join HIV/AIDS stakeholders in your city in learning about HIV science and treatment information! If you are in an area where there is a Brown Bag Lunch Leader, we strongly encourage you to attend a local event.
A list of upcoming Brown Bag Lunch events is below.
February 14, 2014
4th Generation HIV Testing
- Review the history of HIV testing and how technology for detecting the virus has changed over time.
- Increase knowledge around the 4th Generation Test and how it differs from previous generations of testing through 3.
- Increase understanding of acute infection and recognize the importance of early testing and early detection in reducing HIV transmission.
- Learn about the availability timeline of the 4th generation test: including updates on FDA approval.
March 5, 2014
Creating Safe Spaces Amongst Black Men Who Have Sex With Men and Heterosexual Men for People Living With HIV/AIDS to Come Out About Their Status
- Learn strategies for increasing the involvement of men who have sex with men (MSM) and heterosexual men in creating safe spaces for people living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA) to share their status
- Identify how social, educational, and cultural issues can create environments that make it unsafe for Black heterosexual men and MSM living with HIV/AIDS to disclose their status
- Recognize the importance of decreasing stigma related to HIV/AIDS in Black communities, and the effect it could have on increasing prevention and treatment amongst Black MSM and heterosexual men
- Strategize best practices for MSM and heterosexual to create safe environments within their communities for HIV disclosure
- Increase capacity to implement and evaluate educational and/or advocacy events related to making safe spaces for MSM and heterosexual to come out about their status
For more information on the Brown Bag Lunches email Rebekahi@BlackAIDS.org or contact your area's Brown Bag Lunch Leader(s).