June 4, 2014
What HIV Providers Need to Know About Hepatitis C
Speaker: Andrew Reynolds, Project Inform
- Define hepatitis and explain the liver's role in the body.
- Explain the difference between hepatitis C (HCV) and other forms of viral hepatitis.
- Explain how HCV is transmitted and ways to reduce the transmission of HCV i.e. safer injection techniques.
- Explain the tests used to identify the presence of HCV and tests used to monitor liver health.
- Describe therapies used in the treatment of HCV.
- Explain the similarities and differences between HCV and HIV. Identify how co-infection with HIV/HCV impacts care and treatment.
- Identify where HCV messages/activities can be integrated into existing HIV services.